Library & Information Science Community [LIScomm]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Library Dress Codes

3 posters

Go down

Library Dress Codes Empty Library Dress Codes

Post by Admina Wed May 11, 2016 4:13 pm

A UK woman working in a temp position-- created then shared a petition on Twitter available [url=I got sent home from work for wearing flats. It's still legal for employers to require women to wear heels..pls sign]here[/url].

She writes:

Nicola Tharp wrote:I got sent home from work for wearing flats. It's still legal for employers to require women to wear heels..pls sign

So I wondered, do we still have problematic dress code policies in libraries for staff or patrons?  Please share your thoughts and experiences.
Admina
Admina
Admin
Admin

https://liscomm.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Library Dress Codes Empty Re: Library Dress Codes

Post by arkay Wed May 11, 2016 4:22 pm

Legit questioning if it's possible to write an inclusive dress code policy that doesn't infringe egregiously on individual rights for the sake of institutional image (which yes, it's important).
arkay
arkay

Back to top Go down

Post by plenz Mon May 23, 2016 1:14 pm

I think it's acceptable and expected that an institution should have an inclusive dress code policy. One restricting women's shoes is obviously not inclusive. Heels are not for everyone. I would advise the institution to freely distribute the dress code policy and also advise new hires to read it thoroughly. This way any discrepancies, disagreements, and expectations can be handled and established upfront, and any concerns can be addressed by the institution.

plenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down